Monday, October 17, 2011

La Maison Grise

Change can come faster than you can say "I feel so comfortable here", or "Man, I wish my life would change and I could have a little adventure". Seriously. Four years ago I never thought I'd be living in Albuquerque. One year ago I never thought I'd be living in my deceased Nanny's house. I mean...wow.

So much has changed in a few years and a few months. Friends and friendships change, friends move away, new friends move in, some friends come back, people change---I change. I've spoken with several friends and we all agree. This is a huge time of change in our lives. We're figuring out who we are, who the Lord's made us to be. He reveals paths, we follow them. (Hopefully obediently.) Even in our hardships and our pain and even in our disobedience, the Lord is there. But I'm getting carried away. :)

My sister and I moved into our Nanny's house two and a half months ago. We're calling our house "La Maison Grise", which is French for The Gray House. As I said, this is a time of great change and growth for us. The Lord is revealing so much of our sin, pride, and selfishness. Things that we thought would be great fun (hosting parties for example) have revealed themselves to be much work! And expensive! I've learned that I really don't love people as much as I thought I did. I thought I liked to serve and I do, but the Lord is revealing more of my self-motivated heart. In the times that I do serve out of love, it is only by His grace that there is any good in me at all.

Moving out has caused us to learn many "grown-uppy" things.
...Like cooking!

My Paula Deen Cookware fresh out of the box

And modeled by yours truly
And in use for the first time

And producing yummy food
...

Can you tell I was and still am excited about my pans?!

And now back to seriousness.

-
---
-
This is why we are naming our house, La Maison Grise. For in the words of my sister Katina, "Gray is black becoming white". (Or white becoming black, but hey is your glass half empty or half full? Hmm?) We are in this period where so many questions are being asked and we have this hope that they will eventually be answered. We are being shaped and molded as clay. (Gray clay to be exact!) Gray is all the colors mixed together. The possibilities are endless. There are symbolic valleys to forge, and in Albuquerque, actual mountains to climb in this period of gray reflection, thoughtfulness and growth. (And who knows...more adventure could be just around the corner.)

;)

3 comments:

  1. Life is ever changing and hopefully we are by God's grace looking more and more like Christ as He molds and chisels us, using all kinds of things to bring about the righteousness of God in us.
    Love you muchly! Good job on writing and learning and growing and changing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true, where will you be a year from now? I've fallen into that surprise a couple of times. I find that God surpises me most often when I feel the most comfortable and he generally surprises me with tasks I've never considered doing. (This is where obedience comes in.) I pray for your enlightment and the enjoyment of the adventure of living on your own and cooking with Paula Deen (love the dishes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to both of you lovely women! I'm very thankful to have so many God-fearing women in my family. Thank you for your encouragement, wisdom and prayers.

    Aunt Sally, I'd love to hear about the tasks you'd never considered doing. :)

    P.S. I love the dishes too!! :)

    ReplyDelete