Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sister of Mine

In my sister, I am blessed. God's gifted me in both a blood relation and a friend. Katina and I have had many seasons in life. We grew up in the same bedroom. First we shared a bunk bed and then had separate futons. I remember going from frenemies to best friends in that bedroom. When we first moved in, our bedroom had red, yellow, green, blue, and white striped wall paper from it's previous male occupant. We left if for some time, then tore it all off and in our family's style didn't paint if for a very long time. Our parents surprised us one weekend and painted it for us while we were gone. We had decided on our colors: blue and purple, sponge painted. A compromise, as they were both our favorite colors. During the day we'd have our own personal dance parties in our room, grooving to tunes such as Funky Town, Brick House, and Lady Marmalade. Lying in our separate futons we'd talk all night. Sometimes we cuddled. Sometimes we were quiet and I'd hide under the covers with only my watch's push button light to illumine the pages of whatever book I was reading currently. She probably did something similar without me knowing it. (I'm SO glad we didn't have laptops at the time!)

When we moved into our Nanny's house we fought horribly for the first month. She and I have this joke that we only fight now in front of our family. Our brother says we're the worst roommates. (He just doesn't know.) We've learned a lot and grown even closer over the past 6 months. We joke that this has been great training ground for marriage someday.

My sister and I have had some great adventures together. In December of 2010 we had our first road trip together. We couldn't go too far, so we went to Phoenix, AZ about an 8 hour drive from where we live.





We had In-N-Out

The golden boomerang of the west has the yummiest of burgers.

And went hiking
trail head



Katina demonstrates that the rocks are funny





We like each other. 

And we look alike, too.



In three weeks my sister and I will be adventuring together in Belgium for three months. I'm so glad God gave her to me, and can't wait to go to the other side of the world with her! 

Stay tuned for posts from Genval, Belgium. 


1 comment:

  1. Sisters are truly a gift from God. I have three I grew up with and two I married in to. I wouldn't trade any of them, even for a pony!

    ReplyDelete