Tuesday, March 6, 2012

When Overwhelmed, Grace Abounds

We're here! In Belgium. Holy cow.
(At this point Mom would say cows aren't holy. Indeed, they are not.)

Yesterday and today we've been getting the low down on the schedule and all the tiny yet numerous details that go into this "job". There's sooooo much to learn. Today when one of the nurses came, I jumped right in to help and felt so overwhelmed (and the tasks aren't that hard...it's just so detailed and completely foreign to us and FAR out of our comfort zones that it is really, really taxing) that I began crying when finished. I was told we were doing a great job, but while doing it, when uncertain of a new thing, I felt so timid, so wrong.

Everything is different here. The food (some of you would love the cheese; it's very french, very rich and smells oh my gosh it smells-I can't stand it), the smells, the toilets and bathrooms, houses, language, people, just blasted everything. Part of that is beginning to appeal to me. I think once the shock is over, I'll really enjoy it here. It truly is beautiful. But for now, often, I miss home, my family, my friends.

Yesterday Jordan took us to the larger grocery store in Waterloo. (Yup, the very place where Napoleon was defeated.) It's called Carre Four. French, everywhere. (I so wish I knew more French.) Nothing is in logical (to us) order. The cheese aisle stinks so badly. ;) BUT one of the beauties of the grocery store is the wonderfully delightful BREAD AISLE! Fresh loaves lined up in bins, baked daily. Oh my goodness. The glory. The aroma. The FRESHNESS!

Shoppers choose their bread, then take it to a slicer, bag it and take it home. 


I have hope that things will get better. Already I feel slightly less overwhelmed. The people are kind and patient and have done this a million other times with other caregivers. God is so gracious and gives strength when we are so so weak. I crave His word and His grace.

Until next time here are a few pictures:

On our first plane ride this was the curtain separating us from first class.
Our feet were in first class the entire trip, however.
Stickin' it to the man.

The Petrie's house
                                                   
The steep stairs where Rebecca fell
I was slightly superstitious about the stairs when we first got here. I had a fear of falling down them myself, but that's all been taken care of as I accomplished that the first day  here...I was wearing socks and slipped on the last four stairs. Don't worry. I'm ok. :)


The views on our street.





Until later, much love and thank you! for your prayers. :) Pray that the Lord helps us to learn quickly and that He would develop sweet love and fellowship between us and Rebecca. I don't think it will be too hard to develop.

This morning at 7 when I helped get her up and ready for breakfast she invited me to watch the birds with her. In the morning she is raised from her bed into her chair. She then has us feed the birds by putting seed on the window sill and the feeder just outside the window so they can eat while she has her Quiet Time with the Father. The Petrie's have a beautiful garden (backyard) where everything is green and the birds dwell in abundance. Rebecca has a few that stay around all day and feed from her window. Rebecca can already tell that I love being outside. She said that every time the garden is spoken of my eyes light up, so she invited me to stay a few minutes to watch the birds feed. Only one was brave enough to come as I stood there. He was a beautiful, small bird with black and white feathers. Rebecca calls him Charlie.

She has such a tender heart. I'm very much looking forward to getting to know her.


5 comments:

  1. If you get a chance to try a chausson au pommes, DO IT. Absolutely delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hon. I love you and will be praying like mad for you both. Also, I kinda miss you already.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure! To be steeped in another culture, to enjoy with support close at hand, I envy you both. The history in Waterloo alone would pull the writer out of me. I love the look of your street and the grocery. Thanks for the pictures and taking us along with you. Bonsoi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that ya'll got there safely and that everything is going well so far. I will continue praying for you girls and trusting that God will teach you how to show his love and mercy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! You make me smile! Change has always been a struggle in one way or another for you but God has always helped you and He will again and you will grow and bless others through it all.
    I am excited for you both and know that God is going to do an amazing work in and through you.
    Love you bunches and bunches!

    ReplyDelete